Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The riches-to-rags story of a village landlord....

It's the riches-to-rags story of a village man............
He was born into a landlord family.....almost with silver spoon in his mouth...
Owner of a large house, hundred of acres of  arable land, livestock galore..
Dozens of farmers working for me...

Wind of changing was blowing.....

Like many of such aristocratic people, time was not favorable...
Their properties were being taken over by the Government........

Within no time he become poor....
Now he was left with few pieces of land and some cattle...
But, his monopoly mentality had not gone...
I remember, while we as kids, the commoners would bath and swim in the village pond, he would bring his mud-and-leech-covered water buffaloes to soak in it...........
As if that was not enough we would be scolded to get out of the pond, dug by his ancestors...
For monetary woes and ill-temper, his daughters remained spinsters...
----------
Many years passed since then....almost a decade..
I had been away at hostels of the  Universities I attended...
One day I was one my way to home......was waiting for the vehicle to start.....
The driver was looking for one two more passengers to fill it..
I saw a ill-looking man  accompanied by his son approach the vehicle...barely had he taken a seat, all the passengers got down and headed towards the vehicle next in line....
A fatherly-acquaintance asked me to do the same......confused, I followed his instructions anyway.....
Once we settled in the vehicle and it started, he told me the sickly man was the once rich landlord..
He had gangrene....and he drips grubs from it....and smells awful.....so, the people deserted him..

It stirred me....once Oi reached home, asked my mother about it....she shared more information on him...
Just the two days later, someone came to inform of him death and to ask for attending his funeral...

I felt bewildered at the bumpy courses of life....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...