Thursday, October 13, 2016

Indian Snakeroot or Sarpagandha plant........

Indian Snakeroot or Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) is a small plant from  family Apocynaceae..
It is grown in home gardens to deter snakes...
This plant is in my in-law's backyard...the region (coastal Odisha) gets a plenty of rainfall..the perpetual wet conditions favor the reptiles...so, its an antidote major..

The back fruits are the ripe one...of pea-sized..



Looks beautiful in three colors...in three different stages of maturity.........
Anyway, regarding the efficacy of the plant...I remember this fun tale..
My maternal uncle's place has a few of these plants..my mother asked my aunt if this plant really drives away the snakes?
She told, 'I don;t think so. I spotted a snake, knotted around one of its branch'.
Is not that funny? A blow to the ethnobotanical practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...