Friday, July 29, 2016

Remembering Bakula tree......

Bakula tree (Mimusops elengi) ..........a sapotaceae plant family .........
Associated with Hindu mythology......
Those who have seen it must be in awe of its compact, green canopy and wavy leaves...
In my maternal uncle's village in Sundargarh, every household has one of this in front of there houses....must be considered auspicious...
The blooms were fragrant........I can almost inhale them from my current place in California...

Girls made garlands of those tiny blooms...
The ripe fruits which looked like tiny brinjals were said to be edible...I tasted a few, but....just like any other Sapotaceae family member, these fruits were tannin-rich and astringent..
This tree is in the yard of my in-law's place..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...